An allergy is an adverse diagnosis, but it is not a sentence. Many parents are concerned that allergic reactions can be hazardous to health. Also, they wonder if allergies can restrict children from leading a full life. There is no universal answer as every kid is different.
Actually, some children learn to live with the allergy, whereas others forget about allergies when they become adults. There are some major issues, which cover the subject of the allergy and the chances of children to overgrow them.
Allergy: symptoms & allergens
Allergy is the disorder of the immune system, which implies a specific reaction to substances, which are found in the environment, food, and medications. Usually, these allergens do not pose a risk to other people, but the organism perceives them as aliens. Therefore, an allergic reaction develops. It manifests itself through certain symptoms: sneezing, a stuffy or running nose, cough, watery eyes, swelling, hives, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal cramps, swelling of the throat, low blood pressure and loss of consciousness.
The triggers may be ingested through the air: dust, pollen, vapors, animal dander. Also, the allergens may be chemicals, insect bites, medicines and foods.
What Allergies Can Be Outgrown?
There are some allergy types, which disappear in the adulthood, but there are those, which can’t be cured, but still they may be managed.
Ruchi Gupta, MD, MPH, a pediatrician and an associate professor of pediatrics at Northwestern Medicine in Evanston, Ill. States that a food allergy is likely to be outgrown. For instance, the symptoms of egg, milk, and soy allergy are eliminated in 85 percent of children. Also, 50 percent of kids can dispose of a wheat allergy, a little amount (roughly 9 percent) can get rid of a tree nut allergy.
As for the shellfish and fish allergies, they cannot subside with the age.
Researchers have not reached a final conclusion about seasonal allergies. In some children, symptoms change from season to season. Besides, some signs disappear, while others develop after exposure to specific allergens (different types of pollen, e.g. from trees, grass).
Insect sting & venom allergy
These allergies develop in childhood and can’t be outgrown. However, there is an approach, which can cut down the allergy symptoms, it is called immunotherapy. It allows people not to suffer from exacerbation of allergies, even when a person is in contact with the trigger. The body adjusts to allergens and does not respond to them so strongly.
Dust mite and mold allergy
They cannot be outgrown, however, still with the help of doctors they are controllable. Necessary drugs, immunotherapy and preventive measures are paramount in the allergy treatment. Besides, they cannot be ignored since a constant exposure to triggers leads to the development of asthma.
Statistics, provided by a National Center for Health Statistics, American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology show that about 15 percent of children are prone to some types of the drug allergy. Yet, 70 percent of patients with a penicillin allergy overgrow it.
Many children can get rid of allergies. But this process does not happen by itself, parents should closely monitor the child’s condition and consult a physician. Take a proactive approach to the allergy treatment by following these tips:
- A decline in allergic sensitivity may be proved only by medical tests, so the child should undergo a medical examination regularly. Only doctors prescribe medicines and conduct a desensitization.
- Steer clear of the contact with allergens. If a child is allergic to the food, do not let him or her consume triggers. But the kid should receive a necessary amount of vitamins and nutrients, so find alternatives to unsafe products. Also, avoid a cross – contamination. Be very careful while eating out.
- Learn to manage airborne allergies. If the kid suffers from a pollen allergy, stay away from allergens during the peak of the season. Wash the clothes after every walk.
- If you are struggling with a pet allergy, then keep pets away from the child’s place.
- Ventilate the room and carry out a wet cleaning at home. Also, get rid of the carpets, and use special pillowcases and sheets, if your child is allergic to dust.
- Don’t let the kid enter dump areas and keep the bathroom clean and dry if a mold allergy bothers him or her.
- A drug allergy may be avoided if you use alternative medicines.
Thus, some allergies can be outgrown. All you should do it to take necessary precautions as a parent and the child should undergo a regular allergy evaluation and medical treatment. Then, the allergy will be controlled, its manifestation reduced and the kid will enjoy an allergy – free life.
This Article Courtesy of Jimmie Greer